Read some of most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Teachers. If you still have a burning question not listed below please Contact Us we’d love to hear from you.

Can I keep in touch with Point To Point once I’ve started teaching?

Absolutely. We love keeping in touch with our teachers. We will make visits to your classroom in your first term. We will also see you at our regular social nights and networking events in London.

How can I find out more?

Point To Point has free events once a month, throughout NZ and Australia. Email us today to get an invite! Events include:

  • The Teachers Wardrobe

  • The Teachers Workout

  • The Teachers Lunchbox

  • The Know How to Teaching and Living in the UK

  • British Curriculum Training Night

  • Win that Job! – CV Tips and Interview Techniques

How will I make connections and friends?

Point To Point have teachers working all over England. Your Consultant will connect you with other teachers prior to your departure, as well as when you arrive. We host regular social nights and networking events in London, which all of our teachers are invited to.

Why should I choose Point To Point?

Point To Point is a service created by teachers, for teachers. We have all taught in the UK before, so we know what you can expect. Your Recruitment Consultant will be there to give you support and advice every step of the way. We will be there from day one through to when you are teaching in the UK. We value our teachers and pay some of the highest rates available.

How much does Point to Point Education charge?

Point To Point offers a completely free service for teachers. Simple.

How do I apply for my National Insurance Number?

When you first arrive in the UK you will have to apply for a National Insurance Number. This will need to be provided to the school for tax purposes.

To apply, you will need to call Jobcentre Plus on:

Telephone: 0345 600 0643

Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

Jobcentre Plus may ask you to undertake an interview. You will be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance Number. You will also need to bring documents to prove your identity, such as:

  • Passport/identity card

  • Residence permit

  • Birth/adoption certificate

  • Marriage/civil partnership certificate

  • Drivers licence

How do I find accommodation in the UK?

We suggest you stay in a youth hostel, hotel or B&B, depending on your budget when you first arrive. Once you have recovered from jet lag you can set up appointments to view share houses, apartments or flats.

Always keep transport in mind – it is best to find somewhere near the tube, train or bus line that is no more than 30 minutes from your school.

Shop around and make sure you are happy with the decision you make. Consider flats you can share with another person or two, or an apartment will all inclusive rent (internet, power, heating and water rates).

Aim to pay between £80-£120 per week.

Some websites worth checking out:

Transport for London will help you plan your journey between work and your accommodation. Remember to buy an Oyster Card when you arrive to save on travel costs.

How do the year groups work in the UK?

The UK System is divided into Key Stages:

  • KS1: Years 1 to 2 (5-7 years old) Year 2 children have SATS in Literacy, Numeracy and Science

  • KS2: Years 3 to 6 (7- 11 years old) Year 6 children have SATS in Literacy, Numeracy and Science

  • KS3: Years 7 to 9 (11-14 years old)

  • KS4: Years 10 to 11 (14 -16 years old) Exams are called GCSE’s

  • KS5: Years 12 to 13 (16 -18 years old) Exams are typically A Levels, AS Levels, NVQ’s or HND’s

The GOV.UK website can provide more information on curriculum, areas of study, objectives and assessment.

How do I apply for my police check?

Prior to three months before departure, teachers will need to apply for a National Police Check. Certified copies will need to be provided to Point To Point Education. Australian applicants can apply through the Australian Federal Police, while New Zealand applicants can apply through the Ministry of Justice.

How do I apply for a visa?

Visit UK Visa and Immigration to apply, find out about visa processing times, different types of visas and immigration rules. Citizens of Australia, New Zealand and Canada can apply for a Youth Mobility Visa (Tier 5 Application). Applicants need to be under 31 years old and have proof of a minimum of funds to support themselves on. The application fee is approximately £225.00. Some applicants may also be eligible for the UK Ancestry Visa or a British passport.

thumb up.png
I have received nothing but the best support and mentoring from Jen at Point To Point. As soon as I decided I wanted to teach in the UK, until now where I am in the classroom and teaching – Jen is still always an email or phone call away.
— Georgia - Teacher